Saturday, May 15, 2010

Skinny Book Page

This month I have to create art for a skinny book with the theme "Women Who Dared." For the front of the page I decided to go with a Frida Kahlo theme. I like grungy and I like to overstamp with paints and inks. This Frida image is from a Collage Stuff Frida collage sheet. The wings are courtesy of a butterfly from another Collage Stuff collage sheet. I changed the color from red to purple and used some PSP brushes to add white sheet music to the wings.

The background paper is actually a hot pink with glitter in a diamond pattern. I painted thinned down tan paint over it with my fingers and smooshed it around. I was digging around in my many art stashes and found a clear stamp set I hadn't used before. It had grungy images. I stamped part of a frame stamp near the top and bottom of the page. I used a text stamp to stamp in between the frame parts. Next the Frida image was glued down. Thinned down Sand color paint was applied over everything. I wanted Frida to blend in more with the background.

I used a scrolly stamp with Gold Golden Glaze and stamped everywhere excluding Frida's face. I had some Making Memories tiny alpha stickers, so I spelled "artist" around Frida's head and punctuated each letter with a gold jewel - a crown of sorts.

I stamped some twill with a small floral design stamp, glued this down, and then glued black ribbon over the top of it. I applied gold glaze to a pink paper flower and used an antique gold brad to attach it. I printed the words "Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly," cut them out and applied sand paint and gold glaze after they were glued down. This is a Frida Kahlo quote.

Now to come up with something for the back.

1 comment: