Monday, January 25, 2010

Last Day at the CHA show

Today was the last of my CHA adventure. I had a class at 7am this morning by Simply Swank - soldering. I have tried to solder before and it hasn't been pretty. I think I did a little better this time!

Here's the class kit. We didn't keep the tools in the zip bag. We did keep the pink "purse". The "purse" contained many of our class supplies.
The large project is 2 x 3". It's bigger than you'd think. There are actually 4 panes of glass in this project. The background is the first layer. The wings and legs are the second layer. The girl's body with the crown and the words comprise the next layer and it's finished up with the 4th pane of glass. I had a hard time getting the jump ring soldered on this one. The bigger one was harder to solder. The little charm is about 1.25 x 1". We were given collage sheets with a lot of images, so we could choose the images and words we liked.

I went by the Sizzix booth to look at the Tim Holtz Alterations dies. They demonstrated the dies and they cut through matboard easily. They will easily cut grungeboard. I went to Product Performers next and took this photo. They carry all of the Tim Holtz products. I don't think I'll carry these dies as normal stock, but I can definitely order them in. It's not a problem to special order something I don't have in stock. I think I like the bird cage die the best.

Here's a close-up of one of the new Tim Holtz paper packs.


Here's the other two paper packs. If you can see the numerals to the middle right - they have been redesigned. The numerals now are only numbers and the price is something like $5.99 instead of $9.99.

I walked the show today looking for grungy embellishments. Everything is bling. I couldn't find a grungy anything. I went by the Axelrod booth and ordered these two filagree corners. I had these in stock a couple of years ago. I ordered them both in silver and gold. It is possible to distress these with black paint.

I ordered in these large bird brass charms. They will be around $1.99 each. This is most reasonably priced large bird charm like this that I've found.

I always have to go to Eyelet Outlet. I ordered in these brads. They look elegant.

These dove brads are new. I ordered these. I also re-ordered the tweeting bird brads.

I ordered these anodized heart brads. They come in a mix of two different sizes in gold, silver, copper and maybe one other color. I re-ordered the anodized loopy brads.

My last class was with Tattered Angels - Glimmer Mist 101. I've seen this stuff and wanted to learn more about it. Here's what we saw when we walked in to the class. We walked out with a stencil thing, 4 bottles of Glimmer Mist and a ring binder full of Glimmer Mist techniques that we did in the class.

Here's a photo of one of the techniques. It's nice as each page has the name of the technique. We could write notes on the backs of the pages.

For this page, we used a coordinating clear stamp and overlay thing. We stamped first. Then we put the matching overlay over the stamped image and finally sprayed the glimmer mist.


White I was walking around today searching for grungy embellishments, I went back by the Advantus booth and did the Tim Holtz make-n-take. The lines are always really long for the make-n-takes and I hate standing in line. I had to wait about 15 minutes to do this one. This is an ornate plate with a dictionary page inset. The little keyhole is one of the new keyholes and it is attached with mini fasteners. I like these new keyholes a lot better than the old style keyholes. The little key is in the same package with the keyholes. The bird charm is in the package of Tim Holtz charms. I don't know where the pearl drop and bling drop came from. We also tied on some little bits of white tulle.
I went back by the Ranger booth a couple of times. They had cool make-n-takes, but the lines were too long. The second time I went by, there was a huge crowd and I knew that it had to be for Tim Holtz. I was right. Tim was doing some demos and the people were lined up around 6-7 people deep. If I were 7 feet tall, I might have been able to see something.
I went by the Nunn Design booth yesterday. I ordered some new bird charms and heart charms. I got them in silver, gold and copper finishes.
One intersting thing I ran across today - Ice Resin. This is a resin that is jewelry grade, crystal clear, NON-TOXIC and takes about 24 hours to set up. I have resin, but it's like hazardous to use. You could use this stuff in the pendant trays. It looked really nice. The booth personnel told me it always works if you follow the directions. The mistakes that people make include measuring incorrectly and stirring for too short a time. If you're interested in checking this out - http://www.iceresin.com/ One other thing, they showed paper that they coated with this resin. It was cool. It kind of darkened the paper and of course made it really strong. They said you could coat one side of the paper, put this on wax paper and then coat the other side. The side that dries on the wax paper is a matte finish and the other side is a glossy finish. They made jewelry pieces with the paper. It's hard to describe, but there is a tutorial at the Ice Resin website.
I am going home tomorrow. I have a ton of stuff to pack. I hope I can get it all in my suitcases. I think I'll be able to get it all in my suitcases, but the problem will be lifting the suitcases. All of the catalogs and goodies from the classes are heavy.
I had a lot of fun at the show. Thanks for sharing my CHA adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa -- I enjoyed visiting CHA thru your eyes...since you like things more grungy and not quite as "cute" as my local scrapbook store posts show. Can not wait to see all the new stuff show up at your store!

    ReplyDelete